10 June 2011

Ready to sandwich a new stencil quilt


My next stencil quilt will have a pink, orange and gold applique. The patchwork is triangle-ish, and the stencil will be big.


It was another cut, sew, recut and repeat process, with the final two cuts in 4 inch strips and points aligned. It lends a hint of order to the chaos. The strips of solid orange and pink will not be visible in the finished quilt. (Well, maybe the tiniest corner... we'll see.)


And here's the background for the stencil: the red bricks I posted  the other day. Seeing the two pieces together you may have noted that I'm not going for subtlety here.

I'm going to try something different this time. For the other three I completed the reverse applique of the stencil before sandwiching the quilt. This time I'm going to do the quilting and applique at the same time, then cut out the background pieces around the stencil. I'll let you know how it goes.

I love the energy of the shattered triangles and the richness of the reds. I may have to come back and make each pattern into its own quilt after I'm done cutting this one up!

8 comments:

  1. Both pieces are beautiful individually - I can't wait to see how you put them together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow, I can't wait to see how this one works out!!! I'll be glued to your blog all weekend!

    Tabatha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the pieces, loving the colors... and read all the way to the end just to say... ohhh and what shape or image are you going for? I can't wait to see. Your creativity really inspires me. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Oooh! That is going to be something extra ordinary! I love the colours and I'm exited to see what you have designed!
    I'm thinking often your stencil quilts and want to try that technic (after the busy summer)!
    Have a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see this one! Do *love* that red mix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! I like seeing more about your process. Looking forward to the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog. Love what you do. This quilt look interesting and I'm anxious to see how you put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that red brick layer just pulses with color. this looks interesting...

    ReplyDelete