03 May 2011

Pink Hero



The Pink Hero Quilt is finally done.


I feel like I've been talking about this forever, and thinking about it even longer. Of the three stencil quilts I've finished so far, this is the hardest to let go of. I think that's why I put off finishing it until I finished the others.


I used almost all the same background fabrics for Hero and the stag. Hero, of course, gets a more traditional pinwheel block.



The reverse of the quilt is a crinkly soft off-white solid fabric (Kauffman Kona Crush) with a pink circle pieced from the trimmings of the unicorn applique. The outline of the applique forms a subtle shadow on the back.



13 comments:

  1. wow! you are such great artist!!!
    LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stunning - total genius - that pieced background is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant and beautiful! The subtle pinwheels make a great, unexpected background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic quilt! And even more for someone who loves horses and pink!
    Have a wonderful May!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are absolutely amazeballs!!!! Honestly, between this and the green stag, I'm going to explode. I am a newbie quilter, living in Berkeley and dying to come down to one of the East Bay Modern quilt guild meetings. I am astonished by your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! There seems to be a playful yet strong feel this quilt while the green stag is regal and still. The effect of your different backgrounds with the feature top is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, this might make a really good class at New Pieces. Just sayin....

    ReplyDelete
  8. @bionic: i'm working on it! thanks everyone for your generous comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Dan R, I will be the first one on the sign-up list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A stunning quilt! Absolutely love the neutral background to show off the lovely unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally incredible quilt and really like the way the fraying softens the edge! Cool technique too... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! I am having a hard time leaving a comment without a swear word in it, because that is how fabulous this series is. The play between the foreground and background is really powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful. Lovely intricate work.

    ReplyDelete