02 May 2011

Milestones

It's turning out to be a big week. Two big things have happened: I've finished three new quilts, and I've decided to set up shop on Etsy. More on Etsy later, but first I want to show my first stencil quilt.



I'm calling it the green stag quilt.



The quilt features a green deer reverse appliqué on an undulating neutral background. It's one in a series of “stencil quilts” that I have designed and created (I'll have pics of Hero and his nemesis soon!). I posted about my technique recently. It involves creating two patchwork quilt tops, sewing the layers together along the lines of a stencil, then cutting out the top layer to reveal the stencil beneath. The raw edge of the appliqué frays, softening the edge of the image and creating a weathered effect.



I was inspired by an antique quilt whose well worn top began to disintegrate, revealing and even older and more worn quilt inside that had been used as batting.

The green stag is a patchwork of squares and rectangles in the disappearing nine-patch pattern, while the background is a series of improvisationally pieced curves intended to create a sense of rolling landscape.



The reverse of this quilt is made with a soft chambray fabric with a meticulously pieced green circle and ivory sashing. You may recognize the green circle from the missing patch in Sharon & Bill's baby quilt.


The quilting highlights the shape of the appliqué and echoes the undulating curves of the background patchwork. On the solid quilt back, the subtle shape of the deer makes a surprising counterpoint to the bold green circle. 






I've listed the Green Stag quilt for sale on Etsy, along with my Seeing Water quilt. I'll be listing two additional stencil quilts later this week.
I'm planning on sprucing up my storefront soon, but I'm at something of a loss. What do your favorite Etsy stores look like? What makes them your favorite?

14 comments:

  1. Love the look of this. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible! So original - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I love that quilt with the deer! Also that technic is really exiting! Beautiful fresh green with white!
    Congratulations for your new shop!
    Sunny wishes! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so original and beautiful, Dan. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely fantastic! Your color choice, the shape of the deer, everything! It makes me want to try a 'stencil' quilt. I'll have to go back and read your technique. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply Stunning - these pieces are unique, inspiring and awesome in person. They are so well made they really honestly and humbly blow so many other things out of the water. Lets have a class - please!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The edges look so great. Love it! And yes, lets have a class!!!! Congrats on the Etsy shop. Someone's going to snap those babies up. They're a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You use some very interesting techniques with fantastic effects. I hope your shop does well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm speechless, this quilt is absolutely stunning! Congratulations on setting up an Etsy shop, I have no doubt you'll be wildly successful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So awesome! What a great way to start your etsy shop, I know these are gonna sell quickly. And ditto the comments above I'd love to try a "stencil quilt."
    I think simplest is the way to go on etsy. My favorite sellers specialize in one type of thing...ex. they are not selling quilts AND fabric, AND wallpaper, AND vintage kitchen finds. Also, being able to direct potential buyers to see some of your other work helps them understand the type of craftsmanship they can expect. Good Luck but if you keep putting up awesome quilts like those two you won't need it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your quilts are stunning! love the desing and all the color on it!!
    congrats on your the Etsy shop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely lovely and the technique is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing quilt Daniel!! must fantastic! good luck on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG this is positively amazing!! You are super talented.

    ReplyDelete