18 May 2011

Hexagon WIP

I've made quite a bit of progress on my hexagon quilt lately.



It languished in a corner for several months, but recently I've spent a fair amount of time on airplanes, and hand-piecing hexagons is a great way to pass the hours. This is not without its hazards, as my fingers tend to be pretty sore by the end of a six-hour flight. On one trip I wore my right elbow raw on the armrest from the repetitive stitching motion. I didn't even realize it until I stood up to get off the plane.


The design has expanded a bit since my original sketch and may yet grow more. I'm currently working left to right. All of the large four-inch hexagons are done (with some machine piecing) and I have mostly small one-inch red ones to add to the right side.


My favorite detail so far is the way the small shapes meet the big shapes with half hexagons.

19 comments:

  1. I am in love with the gradual colour progression. This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive; you have a marvellous way with colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you are combining the large and small hexies, the "meta-hexies" (big ones made from small ones), and the progression of size and color from side to side. Very clever of you to come up with a new and refreshing take on hexagon piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very cool. What a unique look it has!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an amazing design. I really like how it looks like stepping stones amounst pebbles. And a portable project totally rocks too... sorry to hear about your injuries.. guess it comes with the craft. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the large and small hexagons together...great design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this design! I'm a big fan of mixing block sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how the color moves across the quilt. The detail you put into your quilts is always an inspiration. However, I'm not sure I'm inspired enough to hand piece (though I do have jury duty coming up...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, W.O.W. I've never seen hexagons done like that. So many possibilities! And I love the new blog banner as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just recently stumbled across your blog looking for reverse aplique. You hit the nail on the head! So lovely - thanks for the inspiration. I have a thing for hexagons too, however I make them in rug form : ).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the combination of large and small hexagons. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an inspired twist on the hexagon quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. O. M. G. This is amazing! Love the two different sizes of hexagons. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just stumbled upon your blog today, and your work is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh muh gawd.. I heart this. Working on a hexagon myself.. Just started a few days ago!! I LOVE THIS ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. it's the best hexagonquilt ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete