30 July 2010

Marquee quilt back

I haven't finished quilting the Marquee project I posted about the other day, but I like the way it's turning out, especially the back. I'm using Kona natural muslin for the back -- it's a nice compliment to the "all cotton" print that serves as the background on the quilt top. It's very simple except for a 3-foot reverse applique of a ginkgo branch. I've cut away the natural muslin leaving a raw edge to reveal white beneath.





I love the way the dense stippling stitch (at least it's dense for me!) uniformly covers the backing and the applique, sometimes pushing the raw edge back, and sometimes tacking it down. And I can't wait to see how it comes out of the wash.

To make the pattern I photographed a neighborhood tree, simplified the photo and generated a silhouette, printed it on several pages and pinned the paper to the two layers of uncut fabric. 



I sewed loosely several times around the drawing through the paper and both layers of fabric, then pulled off the now-perforated paper and cut away the natural muslin leaving about 1/8-inch of raw edge. I'm counting on the bits of paper still stuck in the tightest corners to wash out.

2 comments:

  1. reverse applique on the back? that is brilliant!
    love the neutral colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so weird.. I was laying in bed last night thinking about your deer quilt.. and then I was like "Oh ginko leaves would be nice" Then I came back to your blog this moprning..and found this post and am shaking my head.. I must be reading this blog in my sleep or something..

    GENIUS! I love it!

    ReplyDelete